Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Guilty


Okay, I know. It's been ages since I've posted. Believe it or not, my life is a bit hectic right now. One would think that my time would be freed up after quitting my job, but it has gotten nuttier. For one thing, my laptop -- my lifeline to the world -- had to be turned in when I left Nelson, so I have to wait until Chad is home before I can get online. Another toughie is that Avery has become a bit clingy and doesn't like me out of her site.

Perhaps the biggest challenge is that I've still been going into the office a couple of days a week for 2 or 3 hours at a time to help train my replacement. That's not the hard part. Coming up with childcare is incredibly difficult. There's this emotion that most mothers are overcome with and it's called GUILT. I feel guilty for asking a friend to keep Avery more than once -- especially if I've never kept their children (which I'm totally willing to do, by the way). But why is it that moms are tormented with this feeling for a major portion of their waking hours?

I'm determined to create a mom network to help women find others who could trade out on childcare. We would be much more productive members of society. If we didn't have to FREAK OUT every time we needed to get a sitter and worry about paying someone an absurd amount of money to simply be in the same room with a sleeping child, we could actually get a few things done (sans stomach ulcer.)

So who's with me? I'd like to regularly go to Kirkpatrick Elementary to volunteer in Mrs. Jones' kindergarten class. Does someone want to take on a classroom, too, at an alternate time while I keep your kid(s)? A regular date to grocery shop? How about getting your nails done? Maybe a regular volunteer position? And even better -- a nap? I'd love to hear comments. Maybe you have a better idea.

I know blogs are usually meant for an outlet for random ramblings, but I'm serious here. At the risk of turning my living room into a nursery, I'm offering my childcare services. It could actually be pretty rewarding to see some of you rested and refreshed from a couple of hours of freedom. Of course, don't make me feel guilty for asking the same of you once in a while. Who's in? The floor is open . . .

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha! I TOTALLYfeel your pain. Someone told me recently that guilt is just an emotion that comes with the job of motherhood. its hard. I know. good luck with that!!!

Heather said...

Laura,
If you ever need Emmy to keep Avery, I'd be glad to drive her over and hang around until she's finished! Seriously. Give us a call!

Christy said...

I totally feel it too. Just wait until you have to ask for 2 of them...it is hard, but we are all in the same boat so why shouldn't we ask. We know are friends will do it except for extreme circumstances. Baylor and Christian would love to play with Avery sometime...just call

Anonymous said...

Back when it was Darby Drive Jeanne Foust organized Babysitting Bucks where we would swap out. It's a great trade system that involves no money and no guilt. I know, sounds too good to be true! I'd be happy to swap with you, but the commute would kill us!

Kim said...

What a great idea, Lou. I hope all your friends can organize days. It will be so good for the kids developmentally to socialize, and you will be able to get stuff DONE- without yucky daycare. If you don't find a bunch of people, maybe you could find one special friend to swap days with. You could have a day, and your friend could have another day each week.

Unknown said...

I love it Laura. Might even be enough to convince us to have kids. Just kidding... But seriously - that is something I think about - how difficult (and of course wonderful as well) to watch over another person ALL the time - bring them wherever you go, etc. I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful thing. Why shouldn't it be?

And why not hop on down to the Dominican, while you're at it?! We constantly have a roomfull of munchkins that can use all the attention they can get! Avery would have 20 new best friends (who are actually have lots of experience taking care of little brothers & sisters), and she'd be bilingual in no time... You and Chad head back to Punta Cana for a second honeymoon - we've got Avery covered!

Abigail and Ansley said...

Hello! I just came across your blog. Avery is so beautiful! She has grown so much since the last time I saw her...when Xander was born! You all are such a precious family!
Lots of love,
Rebecca (Mitchell) Johns

Anonymous said...

Hey so I found your blog through Ashley's. It was good to see you Friday night and your little girl is soo cute!