Friday, October 05, 2007

Thursday night gripes

Why? Why must all the good television shows be on the air on the same night at the same time on the one night of the week when Chad isn't here? I am completely addicted to Earl, The Office, & Grey's Anatomy. The Office and Grey's are on at the same time on different networks. Chad doesn't give a flying flitter about Grey's, but he won't miss The Office.

I ran to Walgreen's yesterday to grab some VHS tapes. Then I stuck one in the VCR in our bedroom on NBC and tried to stick the other in the VCR in our study on ABC. However, we are missing the cord that attaches the VCR to the TV. Aarg! So I decided to just record whatever I was watching in the living room.

Chad zipped out the door to softball and I put Avery in bed and grabbed a glass of sweet tea and plopped onto the couch. Then I remembered the tape! I hadn't put it in the VCR! I jumped up quickly and popped it in. It revved its little motor and made a strange sound. I ejected the tape and peered inside. Diaper coupons. Lovely. I pulled them out and tried again. It whirred again and then shut itself off. I turned it back on and pushed the eject button. Nothing. It turned itself off again. You've GOT to be kidding me!

This morning the tape is STILL in the VCR and I have no idea what else might be in there with it. At least I managed to get my cell phone out of there the time my little helper stuck it in there.

Since NBC was being recorded upstairs last night, I watched Grey's on ABC. Then I ran upstairs and watched Earl and The Office. (I have no desire to watch 30 Rock. Not sure why. Love Tina's credit card commercials, though.)

So if any network executives stumble across my blog, please hear my plea. Move SOMETHING to another night. Thank you for Heroes and Dancing with the Stars. And I LOVE YOU CBS for making Survivor available On Demand. (One of Chad's tax clients is on the show this season!) My other plea is to move the good stuff that falls on Wednesday night to another weeknight. I'm never sure what's good on Wednesday since we're at church. It may be time for DVR!

By the way, if anyone has recommendations for getting a VHS tape out of the VCR without breaking either, PLEASE let me know!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Most of the networks now have their programs available on their websites. So, for instance, the morning after Grey's has aired you can go to abc.com and download the episode and watch it on your computer. I'm not sure which networks provide this service, but I do know ABC is one that does. Hope this helps.

Christy said...

TIVO has changed the way we watch TV. No more having to get the kids to bed early to catch an 8 o'clock show or trying to plan around when you'll be home to set the VCR. It is easier to watch at your convenience and we get to fast forward through all the commercials!!

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

neither. TIVO!!! we can't live without it. on Thursday nights, jamin likes survivor while I have to see Grey's, CSI, Earl, etc. the list keeps going. so we just tape them all. If you missed something, you can get them online on Itunes.

congrats on being preggers again! I know you're excited!

josh and darci said...

You crack me up... We're having similar issues in our house because we both love the Office and Grey's. However, with DirecTv out here in the boonies, we cannot use our DVR to record one thing and watch something different. Oh, the dramas that we have over our TV shows. You, however, being a marketing person should know that they're doing it on purpose. I do believe that they're trying to screw up the other's ratings. I'm rambling... Dumb TV

Jeff said...

Christy's right, Laura. Don't get the DVR, get the Tivo. But make sure you get the dual-tuner one. You can tape two shows at the same time. You can also watch one 15-30 minutes in and watch it while it is taping, perfect for when the kids go to bed a little after 8:00, but you don't have to wait until the whole show is finished like you do with a VCR.

Heather said...

I have no advice about getting your tape out, but you should definitely make the leap to digital. I LOVE our DVR -- don't know how we ever lived without it! (I've heard TiVo gives you a few more options, but since cable is included in our Home Owners fees, we go that route.) Since I'm going to bed around 8:30 these day, I catch up on shows while Em is napping or at school!

Clarissa said...

W/o dual-tuner Tivo there would be a lot more fights in our household, I'm sorry to say. (Kids use it, too. Into Full House for some reason.) Might wait for a triple-tuner -- surely that's just around the bend.