Friday, May 09, 2008

Silence is golden...or is it?

Disclaimer: The following story is not for those with a weak stomach. Reader discretion advised.

This morning, Avery and I were having breakfast while Stuart was still sleeping upstairs. I stayed downstairs to catch the news headlines on TV. She went upstairs to play. I was just happy she hadn't asked me to walk her upstairs. I told her to play quietly so she wouldn't wake up her brother. I could hear her playing in her room for a few minutes and then I headed upstairs, too, to get my gym bag packed for the Y. (Yes, I'm still forcing myself to go every day.)

When I peered in Avery's room, I saw a bare bottom. She whipped around with a guilty look on her face and immediately said, "Avery change her diaper." It wouldn't have been a big deal except that I also noticed poop on her tush. Panic sets in. I rushed her to the bathroom and made her sit on the potty. It took SEVERAL cleaning products, but I got her clean, the potty clean, and finally the carpet clean. Yes, the carpet.

How do you convince a 2-year-old that if she needs to go to the potty, she can do that by herself, but that if she missed the opportunity, she should let Mommy change her?

3 comments:

Drew said...

she is adorable.

i have found that it is not uncommon in the least for a child to go off by themselves to poop. it is a very private thing for them, almost like shame is associated with it. i bet it has a little bit to do with a sense of control. children are gaining a sense of control as they grow.

giving them an incentive to poop in the potty is the best thing, i think. that seemed to work for my girls. i used to think that if they pooped in their pants, and letting them walk around in it for a while, would make them not want to poop in their pants, but i am almost convinced they like the feeling of it. sick!!!!

good luck with the doodie. thanks for sharing.

Nancy said...

Tell Chad I'm sure that must have come from his side of the family. ha.

Kim said...

Oh no!!! That is really funny, though. =)