Monday, December 29, 2008

The scissor incident



We have a junk drawer in the kitchen. I'm not embarrassed by it. Most people seem to have one somewhere in their house. By most standards, it is very organized. I even have a divided tray with sections labeled for certain items. I typically know exactly where to find buttons, safety pins, batteries, post-its, matches, tape, pencils, scissors, and any number of other random necessities.
Avery also knows where to find things. Trouble is, she's not quite tall enough to see what she's grabbing for. She found my scissors. We've caught her several times cutting paper into little strips and have sternly told her that scissors are only for mommies and daddies to use and that she may only touch them if we have told her it's okay.
(Side note: Don't panic. She did not cut her hair. We're very lucky. Stop freaking out.)
Lately, Avery has been waking earlier than we care to, so we send her downstairs to play with her dollhouse or watch a cartoon while we get a few extra winks in. Yesterday, Chad got up and headed downstairs to check on her and found her in the kitchen with the scissors. She had raided the refrigerator and found string cheese snacks. But she couldn't get them to tear apart on the perforations, so she employed the use of scissors to cut them apart. The best part? When Chad asked her what she was doing, she said, "I'm cutting the cheese." Priceless.
Reminds me of one of the funniest commercials I've seen. I don't support beer sales, but the folks in the advertising department at Budweiser are comedic geniuses. Enjoy!

6 comments:

Kim said...

That title scared me. I must say that I am super impressed my your junk drawer. By how organized it is, I really don't think you have to call it junk drawer- call it miscellaneous items. =)
And I'm glad your daughter learned how best to cut the cheese.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

i knew there was just something about you that i loved. that junk drawer looks exactly like mine. Except for that instead of labels, I have little stickers with pictures of the item that should be located there.

Ahh...I love organization.

Anonymous said...

ok..I'm commenting on the commercial. for some reason, I missed that. hilarious. but I've seen that guy who was cutting the cheese somewhere else. Without the beard. Where?

oops, gotta go. I'm touchin cotton

(would sign my name but my wife would kill me)

Amy Anderson Westerman said...

TOO funny! So glad it wasn't her hair! :)

Michael and Terah said...

Laura! Just found your blog through someone's page...great post!

The Normans! said...

Laura, I LOVE your new header picture! You four and your beautiful brown eyes... :o)