Saturday, February 28, 2009

Working Girl

We've had a few changes in our house in the last couple of weeks. Those changes have kept us quite busy, so please accept my apologies for the delay in posting.

I run a marketing and PR consulting firm with my friend Lola. We work on contract with companies to book media, write press material, and train authors how to blog and work with social media. I was approached by a former colleague a few weeks ago who asked if I'd be interested in putting my contracts on hold and work full-time with them through the end of June to get through a heavy spring publishing list.

It was good timing. I was craving a little break from my stay-at-home mom status and this position allows me to get the corporate life back for a few weeks. I worked out full-time childcare for the kids and committed to working with Hachette Book Group through the end of June. I've got traditional work hours and go to an office every day. I even had to go out and buy some new work clothes.

The change of pace has been refreshing for me. However, there's a bit of chaos in our house sometimes. Wednesdays are a nightmare. I drop off Avery and Chad drops off Stuart. We both work full days. Chad picks up Stuart and heads to church and I meet Avery at church. We eat dinner there (if there's a Wednesday night meal) and I have to dash upstairs to get my kindergarten class ready. It's 8:30 before we're home. We have to lay out clothes for the kids for the next day and get them into bed (hopefully before 9.)

I hope you don't think I'm complaining. This job is a huge blessing in the middle of a recession where people are being laid off left and right. I enjoy what I do and I honestly appreciate my kids and husband more when I get home.

So if you see us looking a little harried and hurried, please forgive. We'll either get used to this schedule soon or be done with it at the end of June. Thanks for checking on us!

5 comments:

The Houston's said...

All that and you guys have still gone above and beyond to take care of us and love on us when Lexi was born!! You are such special friends! I do already miss our morning trips to the mall!!

McKinney Madness said...

Congrats on the new work status sister! I'm sure you're doing a great job both at home and work!! You're a "Trouper"... okay so that was cheesey. Love ya girl!

The Wessons said...

You will get used to the craziness and it will become normal to you! Just not enough hours in the day to everything that you want and need to do.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

you are a supermom. i'm amazed by how much you get done!

Anonymous said...

I saw the link to Florez on your blog. I saw them in August in Dallas at a small coffee shop. I took some photos at their performance. Could you get my photos to them? I told one of the guys I'd send them, but I think I've misplaced their email. I'm guessing you've done some pr work for them or maybe you're just a big fan.

The photos are large and I might need burn a CD and send it.

Hope you're work at Hachette goes well. - Brian