Thursday, March 15, 2007

The MySpace Vortex

Some of you may be wondering what has happened to us lately. MySpace. I got sucked in. I'm not sure how it happened, but I'm addicted.

A few days ago, my brother John told me that he found Hanna, our Austrian exchange student from 1996/97, on MySpace. So I got on his page to see what they'd been talking about and to read up on her. I got curious and started searching for old friends from grade school. It was so bizarre to see how many people are on MySpace.

The strangest part for me, though, was learning how little discretion some people have on there. They feel the freedom to use words they'd never use in public -- maybe just assuming that their parents, church friends, potential employers, whomever, may never see it.

I started subscribing to the newspaper last week. A few days ago, I found an article about how some people aren't getting jobs they interview for simply because their potential employers looked them up on MySpace and didn't like what they saw. They've thrown away the value of their education and experience by posting stupid pictures or saying crass things. I honestly believe that comments other people post on your profile can be harmful to your reputation, too.

So as far as I'm concerned, at least for now, I'm keeping a close eye on what ends up on there.

And by the way, the newness will wear off soon, so I'll be back to blogging more regularly.

1 comment:

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

yeah...i feel ya. I go back and forth now, at first I was totally addicted at first, and now only at times I get on there to look. You do have to be careful...that is for sure! it bothers me half the stuff we see on there, esp with soem of our kiddos!