Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Writing implements

Avery is very observant. She doesn't miss a thing. Chad and I have caught her doing just about anything to mimic us. She has noticed how we write with pens or pencils and always wants to do the same. We gave in and let her carry around a click-top pen that we didn't think she could open. I think we have underestimated her.

This morning, I gave her the pen and she pretended to write on a book. In a split second, she managed to open the pen. Not only was she writing on the book, but she had also drawn all over her legs. I quickly took the pen away—leaving her thrashing about on the floor—and got out the video camera.

I dug out some crayons for her to try. I thought she'd love them since they're colorful. We did a little bit of drawing together on a legal pad, but she just wanted to put them back in the box.

When she lost interest and moved along to playing with her blocks, I thought I was in the clear. But Avery dug out one of the crayons and tried to draw on every toy she had. I either need more cleaning products or a safer writing implement.

6 comments:

Heather said...

Washable crayons are wonderful!

Christy said...

She was just trying to show her artistic side, right?!?!

Jillina said...

Try the magic eraser. It really is magic! it gets everything nice and clean so I'm sure it could work with the crayons as well.

Jillina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Don't you wish there was an appropriate way to let her write on the walls? Wouldn't that just encourage her creativity?? You know, I think Home Depot sells a chalkboard paint. You could paint a table or something and let her chalk-write on it.

Karen said...

Hey Laura...I found your blog after the zoo trip. It was through Ashley that I thought I had seen your link. I was right! I'll be keeping up with you guys now. Do you have any links to the other girls? How was your girly weekend?:) BTW...we have the exact same problem w/ Emily...especially the "thrashing about on the floor" problem when we remove the "writing implement."