Sunday, August 19, 2007

Goodbye, Ol' Bird


This morning, Nannie, my great-grandmother (and Avery's great-great-grandmother), passed away peacefully. Until the last week, she's been doing very well, but she took a rough turn. She had a strong heart, but the rest of her was wearing out. To have been 90, I think that's pretty impressive.

Around midnight, her breathing slowed down and became more peaceful. She'd had what the doctors call a "death rattle" in her chest for a day or so, but her last hours were calm. With two of my aunts by her side, she opened her eyes (for the first time in 4 or 5 days) and looked at them intently. Then she squeezed their hand and exhaled one last relieved time. She was gone.

For the last few years, she has always talked of being eager to go be with Jimmie, my great-grandfather, who preceded her in death. She has acted ready for a long time, so I know she's thrilled to be together with him again.

I will always miss her and remember all my favorite things about her -- fresh figs on the kitchen counter, ginger ale on a hot day, climbing the clothesline in her yard, her beautiful roses. She was always wonderful to me and loved Chad like he'd always been hers. I am better from knowing her.

So here's to Jamie Burgess, my Nannie. I love you, Ol' Bird.

6 comments:

Sallie said...

Laura, I'm so sorry to hear about your Nannie. I know how hard that is. I love you and am thinkin' about you.

Anonymous said...

You all are in our prayers.

auburnchica said...

We were at Otter Creek this morning and heard the announcement. I'm sorry to hear about your Nannie. Hope you and your sweet family are doing well and know that you are in my prayers.
-Hayley

Leslie Ware said...

We also heard the announcement this morning at church. Jackson and I are thinking about you are your family....

Leslie Ware

Ashley @ pure and lovely said...

Laura...so sorry to hear about that, but at the same time, it is a wonderful way to be able to depart from this life. My grandmother, Meme, was able to go while my parents and aunt and uncle stood at her bedside. They told her it was ok to go, and she did. It's a comforting thought, when you think about it. My prayers are with your family!

Christy said...

So sorry to hesr sbout your Nannie, but you are right about her being happier. It's just the ones left behind that have to deal with the saddness. You'll be in our prayers.