Monday, April 21, 2008

"Doctor take Avery's arm off"



Avery has been looking forward to this day. We've been building it up for the last week so she wouldn't be afraid. She wanted to match her cast today to go to the hospital to see the doctor. She kept saying "Doctor take Avery's arm off" and we kept having to explain that he wasn't taking the arm off, just the cast.

They didn't really tell us what to expect this morning. We just showed up expecting to get the cast off, come home, and take a big bath. Not quite so easy. Avery had a minor flip out moment when the fella came at her with the saw (I think I would have, too, at that age), but she sat really still and let him pry it off. He was desperately trying to joke with her, but she wasn't having anything to do with it. Poor guy.

Next, they took her for an x-ray to see if the arm had healed correctly. They informed me afterward that if it hadn't we would have to have another cast put on. Try telling that to a 2-year-old who is living for her freedom from the cast. Luckily, the x-rays looked great, so they had to take the pins out. No anesthesia. Poor child. The nurse gripped each pin with pliers and pulled. Kill me. Even bubbles and a Lion King book couldn't distract the child. They slapped on a Bugs Bunny band-aid and sent us home.

We got the bill for all this over the weekend. It was over $10K before insurance. That's more than it cost to have Stuart and stay in the hospital 3 days! That's crazy!!! The bulk of the expense was anesthesia. There's no telling how much Stuart would have cost if I'd gotten an epidural. One more reason I'd do it all over again! He's happy to hear that he didn't cost too much.

8 comments:

The Blankinships said...

I'm so glad that she's doing so great. I hate that you guys had to go through all that. We sure have been praying for yall!

Tiffany Ann said...

YEAH for Avery and a big Yeah for Mommy!!!

JodiMit said...

That sounds awful with pulling out the pins. I am glad that she is ok!

Nancy said...

Believe it or not, your dad checked the blog for pictures even before I did. I can't believe Stuart's smile. I want to get my hands on them both. There was a 2 year old girl next to us at dinner tonight. She made us laugh. She kept pulling up her hem and telling us, "Look at my beautiful dress!."
Love you.

Kim said...

Oh my stars. That's the most horrible story ever. First the saw and then the pins. I want to hug her. =(

Heather said...

I DO NOT envy you! "Give me the Morphine Pump!" was what I was screaming after the epidural wore off... then again, my belly was sliced open! Good thing Scott works for the hospital Mothership! ;o)

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

glad she's doing okay!

Drew said...

you guys have cute babies. this world needs more cute babies. keep having them!!!