Wednesday, April 02, 2008

On the upswing

Just a quick update ... we're doing much better. Avery is finally trying to be active. For the first couple of days with the cast, she just wanted to let it hang limply by her side. We've encouraged her to use it as much as she can. She is mostly frustrated with herself when she can't do something that would normally come very easily to her. Since she's left-handed, eating and coloring are the toughest tasks.



If any of you have tips on how to dress her, please help me! At least we're staying inside all the time right now. We can only put sleeveless or short-sleeved shirts on her and they have to have big enough holes to fit her cast through. Pray that this cold snap is short-lived! If we let her have her way, she'd wear her nightgown all day long!


The first couple of nights, we had to wake up every 2 hours to wiggle Avery's fingers for her to make sure she doesn't swell and be certain her arm is in an elevated position. I was taking two shifts when I was already going to be up to feed Stuart. (Interrupted sleep is common in our household!) Now we're cutting back to every 4 hours because she's finally doing most of the moving on her own.

We head back to the doctor for x-rays on Monday! Let's hope the arm is healing correctly. Pictures of a happier, more active child next time ....

4 comments:

Sallie said...

if she's comfy in her nightgown...i say she gets to wear it all the time!!!!love you guys!

Tiffany said...

I'm so glad to hear you guys are doing better!

JodiMit said...

I am glad things are better! I will pray that Monday goes well!

Kim said...

Okay, when YOU broke your arm, and I had to dress you, I used mostly cotton stuff that would stretch. =) lol...
I'm sorry you had to get up so often. Yuck!