Friday, September 05, 2008

Calling all novice photogs!



I'm in need of a new camera. My current one works, but only if I'm careful with it. The on/off switch is part of the trigger and it has all popped off. It still takes pictures, but only when I hold it in place gently. It has done the job fairly well for the last 5 years or so. I haven't been thrilled with it, though. A spring in the battery chamber has caused the battery door to randomly fly open and dump out the battery -- usually only when I have a very important shot to capture.

I'm hesitant to buy a new camera without a glowing recommendation (or 6). Here are my needs: compact digital, at least 10 megapixels, a large preview screen, and a secure battery chamber. I don't care about fun colors, but it would be nice to have something flat enough to stick in my pocket.

Okay, wow me with your suggestions!

3 comments:

Amber O said...

For what it's worth, I've been really pleased with my Sony Cybershot. I've had it a couple of years I guess. Essentially a point and shoot and I only have 8.1 megapixels, but there is a 10.1 model. Excellent large display, and even with my complete lack of skills I can make a decent picture.

susanv said...

Laura-I found your blog through your mom. I think I have the same camera that Amber above has and we have been very pleased with it. We had another Sony camera before this one too and liked it very much. I have the 5.0 megapixels and the 8.1 megapixels models. The 8.1 version is slim enough to carry around in my pocket.

Anonymous said...

http://search.ebay.com/new-sony-cybershot_W0QQdfspZ32QQfromZR40QQssPageNameZRC0021QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em120

Check out the prices on Ebay for a good start.