Sunday, April 30, 2006

Controlled Chaos

Life Group on Sunday nights . . . never a dull moment. We all get together at 5 or 6 each Sunday evening for a meal, good conversation, prayer, and explosive laughter at our insanely chaotic lives. Our life group is growing exponentially, but it's because of all the children—and the Laytons weren't even there tonight.

But between the spitting up, crying, and diaper changing, we actually get real with each other. We talk about real heart issues. We always joke around about "edifying and uplifting," but that group of friends is my lifeline. I don't know what I would do without my girlfriends. I was feeling a bit disconnected before Avery came along and I was still in the office every day. All the other girls got to spend time together each day while I plugged away in the office. Don't get me wrong; I love my job. But while I've been on maternity leave, I've had the chance to actually get close to my friends—share in the frustrations and joys of motherhood, blow a ridiculously large amount of money on tiny little clothes for Avery, and squeeze in a daily workout.

And next week I start back to work. It scares me out of my mind. I LOVE my job. I think I'm pretty good at my job. But I'm going to be attempting to go back to my former life while adding the responsibility of rearing a child at the same time. The biggest difference is that I'll be taking my friends with me. Of course, they won't be making the commute with me, but they'll be my support network, helping me to be a better mom every day. Thanks girls. I love you all!

2 comments:

The Blankinships said...

WE LOVE YOU TOO!!! i can't imagine going through this without each other. what a blessing you have been to each of us. and we will miss you and avery terribly when you return to work. it will feel like we aren't quite complete during our walks. but you know that you three will still be in our prayers and we'll still be just as close. hang in there...we're here for you. ;)

josh and darci said...

We love you too! I know you love your job, but the selfish part of me hopes that you'll find that you don't love it like you used to... Then you can hang out with us every day :) Seriously, though, I know that you've made a difficult decision and we're here to support you. Let me know if there's anything that I can do do help!!
You're in my prayers during this big transition... and we'll miss you every day!