Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Dinosaurs

Anyone remember the dreadfully annoying television show "Dinosaurs" from somewhere in the blur of the nineties? The baby dinosaur called its father "not the Mama." The poor father dinosaur seemed broken-hearted about this one -- getting cold seconds after the Mama Dinosaur got the most love and affection.

I feel somewhat the same. Although she spends most of her waking hours with me, Avery very rarely says "mama." I know it's not a big deal, but it kills me. She says "dadadadadada" all day long (and don't even get me started on "dog"). She even calls me "dada" sometimes. So I'm thinking of changing my name to "not the Dada." How's that?

Her nap schedule has improved significantly. We actually have a routine! While I feel like it's great for her, I think it's even better for me. It has forced me to commit to going to work out at the Y every morning and get some work done while she's down for a nap. I feel productive! Even her meal schedule is helping out. It has caused me to be very conscious about what I eat since I need to make sure she gets a balanced meal.

The schedule has also done a fair job of preventing me from shopping. Gasp! I've never really been a big shopper, but when I first left my job to stay home with Avery, I found myself aimlessly wandering Target or the mall at least twice a week. Now, I don't allow enough time between scheduled naps, meals, or learning time to make shopping worth the trip. I have properly overscheduled myself.

Ah, she's rousing. Need to get L'il Bit out of bed. Have a great day!

3 comments:

Kim said...

Helllooooo, Not Chad.
Well, I am very proud to see a new post already.
But don't worry-- M's are a lot harder for children to say than D's. So work on her saying MMMMmmmmm. She'll get it! =)

Gina said...

Right, developmentally "da" is the first sound they can say. I've read that around the world, "da" is the first thing babies say, no matter the language they speak. And besides, relish the moments that she isn't saying "Mo-om" in that oh-so-annoying way. It will arrive with 6 years - plenty soon enough!! love you! -Gina

Abigail and Ansley said...

How sweet! I remember that movie! I can't believe she is talking already! Time flies!