Friday, January 26, 2007

This time last year . . .

I gave birth to my precious Avery Elise one year ago today. I can't believe it's been a whole year. Where did it go? I was warned by every parent before me that it would fly by. "Don't blink," they'd tell me, "or you might miss something." Nothing can prepare you for the sting when you realize that your baby is growing up and that she'll never be that tiny again.

My due date had come and gone. Contractions finally started around 4 a.m. Wednesday, January 25. They were coming regularly, so I thought I'd have a baby by the end of the day. Little did I know that I'd be lucky to have a baby by the end of the week. She took her sweet time getting here.

After laboring at home the whole day, we finally decided to head to the hospital around 1 a.m. when contractions were about 3 1/2 minutes apart. However, after the nurses checked me, they confirmed that I was truly in labor but recommended that I go home and continue to labor there so they wouldn't have to try drug intervention. (We were bound and determined to do this whole labor thing without the help of drugs.) So we turned around and headed back to our house.
I got a couple hours of interrupted sleep and took a shower. Chad probably needed the rest more than I did. (My body was made for this. His wasn't.) The doctor had planned to induce on Friday if I hadn't delivered by then, so we had a scheduled "final exam" at his office on Thursday at 1 to make sure all was well. My contractions were about 2 minutes apart at this point and I had progressed enough to head back to Centennial for the delivery. So Dr. Staggs sent me on my way and promised to be close behind. When we got on I-65, though, traffic was at a standstill. I thought I'd have to deliver my child on the shoulder of the interstate! But the Lord was smiling down on us and we made it to the hospital in plenty of time.

Lamaze prepared me well for this big moment. The breathing worked wonders. Chad was a great coach and helped me stay focused. He even talked me off the ledge and reminded me that I really didn't want the epidural. After 45 minutes of pushing, Avery Elise Troup entered the world at 6:23 p.m. weighing in at 8 pounds, 1 ounce and measuring 21 1/2 inches long. She was perfect in every way.

It's hard to fathom that we've had this little family for a year now. It has been the most fulfilling, rewarding experience of my life. I can't believe she's mine.

As an extra added bonus, Avery was born on her great, great grandmother's 89th birthday. What a special gift!

So today, Happy 90th Birthday Nannie! You are so special to us. And Happy Birthday Avery Elise! You are my pride and joy. Thank you for making our lives so new and exciting every day. And thank you for giving me the best job in the world -- Mommy!

No comments: