Sunday, March 30, 2008

When it rains...



We thought our season of plagues was over. Now we're waiting to see what's waiting around the next corner.

This morning, Avery made her first ever attempt to escape from her crib. She managed to break her arm when she landed. It wasn't a major fracture, but she also dislocated her elbow in the process. Of course, we didn't know this upon first assessment. I convinced Chad that she at least needed to be checked out since she couldn't squeeze my fingers or raise her arm up. And since it was the weekend, our only option was the ER.

Chad took her to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital for x-rays and they determined that she would need surgery to put pins in. Poor kiddo. She was so brave, though. Chad and I, on the other hand, were just trying to hold it together. I think we were mostly just tired, but we couldn't help but feel guilty, thinking that maybe we could have done something differently to prevent the accident. We've gotta get over that and just focus on taking care of her and making sure she heals correctly.

Please pray that we can adjust to this minor inconvenience. (I'm mainly concerned about bathtime!) We'll make it just fine. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, right?

15 comments:

The Wessons said...

Poor Avery! Sound like that was a bad fall! Give her a hug from me and I hope she gets better soon. Let me know if you need anything.

stan, tasha, isabella and gabrielle said...

Oh Laura! You must be exhausted and ready to scream. You guys have a lot going on right now. We're praying for you guys. Hang in there. This too shall pass.

Phil said...

Yeah, let me and Sheryl know what we can do beyond prayers to help you guys out.

Sheryl Wilson said...

Welcome to Stuart. What a sweetie! But what a tough time this can be when everything is normal much less when sickness or poor little broken bones are added to the situation. Absolutely let us know what we can do for you besides continue to lift you up in prayer. In fact, specifically if I need to help take Avery to school on Tuesdays or something like that, I would love to.
Sheryl W.

Anonymous said...

Laura!!!! You poor, tired, and I'm sure still hormonal mommy-which is what brings on the guilt and tears! Hang in there! It's not your fault. I would offer to bring dinner but seeing as I have the flu I don't think that would be much of a service. MY bringing dinner wouldn't be much of a service in and of itself. :) I have lots of tips for bathing a child in casts so I may call you tomorrow and check on you guys.

Katie said...

i can't imagine adjusting to a newborn with all y'all have happening. we're praying for y'all.

Anonymous said...

Oh Laura! Hang in there! You have learned to be content in all circumstances, right? Guess that's easier for me to say on this side of the keyboard. ;)

Please let me know if I can help with anything.

Malia

Kim said...

My mouth is hanging open! Bless her heart! And yours. Guess she'll never try to leave the crib again.

Christy said...

You know we are praying for you too!! I'll be calling later to see what you need:) Christian prayed for Avery last night before he went to bed

Karen said...

Oh Laura, I am so sorry for all of you! Since Em is the same age, I cannot imagine how that broke your heart to see her going through all of that. I promise I will be praying for you guys, even for the mundane but important stuff like bathtimes!:)

JodiMit said...

She looks so sad! I hope that you are having a better day!!

The Blankinships said...

poor baby. and poor mommy and daddy. at least stuart is happy and healthy, right?! hang in there and know that we're all praying for you.

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

I can't believe it! What a tough time for your family!! I hope you guys are all better soon.

Sunny said...

I feel so sorry for your little Avery! I hope that things heal quickly and go a little more smoothly from here on out.

Congrats on Stuart! He is such a cutie!

Anonymous said...

She looks so pitiful. I hate that everything had to happen like that. you are definitely in my prayers. I know you have enough on your plate as it is, but this had to have been the icing on the cake. anyway, you have a brother that is here if you need anything. send my love around the house.