Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Scary bunny rabbits



When I think of bunny rabbits, I think of sweet, fluffy balls of fur that hop around and deliver Easter eggs. Obviously, my daughter has other ideas.
Last night, after much weeping and gnashing of teeth, I wrangled Avery into her room for bed. We'd had a bath and read stories, sung songs and said prayers. But when I got ready to make my exit, she dissolved into a screaming, crying fit. Why me?
I tried tough love and told her to get into bed unless she wanted a spanking. (Empty threats are worthless in my house.) She just stood at the door and yelled -- waking her brother from his peaceful slumber, of course.
After a bit of probing and cuddling with her to calm her down, I asked if she was afraid of something. She nodded and mumbled and answer. Had I misunderstood? I had her repeat her response, and I had in fact heard correctly. Bunny rabbits.
I laughed. Bunny rabbits? You're afraid of sweet, perfect bunny rabbits? You haven't even seen Monty Python. How could you know the dark side?
I convinced Avery that bunny rabbits lived outside in the woods and that even if we did come in contact with bunny rabbits, they are very friendly and sweet.
That seemed to do the trick. She drifted off to sleep.

8 comments:

Ashley Crocks said...

My sister had a high fever once when she was little and woke up crying and saying "the rabbits, the rabbits.." - Turns out she had a nightmare where Bugs Bunny told her if she turned him into rabbit stew he'd turn her into a carrot. We still kid her about that.

Sallie said...

that's hysterical! of all the things to be afraid of!

Christy said...

Where did that come from?

Nancy said...

Ask Jimmy Carter about attack rabbits!

Stephen Shirley said...

If she's afraid of rabbits, then I'd advise against watching Watership Down. While it may an animated movie about rabbits, it is NOT kid friendly.

I STILL remember the nightmares from watching General Woundwort rip off Bigwig's ear.

Elizabeth S said...

Hi Laura. I don't know if I have commented here before. My husband and I used to go to Otter Creek. I found your blog through Phil Wilson. Anyway, the weird comment about Watership Down is from my husband. Sorry! He is crazy ;)

Kim said...

That is so funny!!! You should take her to see a baby bunny. They're so cute!!!

Unknown said...

Hey Sis, What a funny night. Maybe Clover's ghost made an appearance in Avery's room. He's coming back to haunt you for letting me slide him down that long hallway. Anyway, I love and miss you guys.

-John