Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The proof is in the potty

I kid you not. My 12-month-old actually peed in the potty today.

After Bible study today, Heather, Darci, and I took the kids to Wendy's for a quick lunch. We'll never go there again -- at least not together -- because there are only two highchairs in the entire restaurant. After Avery stuffed herself, she got this look on her face like, "Just leave me alone because I'm really working on something here." I didn't check her diaper because I couldn't change her there anyway. There's no changing table at Wendy's, either. (Another reason NEVER to go again.)

On the way home, she was giving me "the look" again. When we got home, I almost couldn't get her out of the carseat because she held her body as stiff as a board. She was pushing so hard that she wouldn't bend. I took her upstairs to change her, but she hadn't done anything yet.

Chad and I got her a potty for her birthday and I had put it together last night. (Quick disclaimer: I don't expect her to use it yet. I just wanted her to get used to having it around for when the time is right.) But since it was up, I thought it would be funny to see if she'd do her business in it (since she was pushing anyway.)

I sat her down on it and she relaxed a little but never pooped. (Wow! Am I actually using bathroom words in my blog?!?) Then she started smiling and got up. She had peed in her potty and she was SO PROUD of herself -- as was I. Maybe we've got something started here.

I don't think it would be appropriate to post pictures of this feat on the blog, but I did leave it in there so Chad can see it when he comes home from work today. Won't he be thrilled?

6 comments:

Heather said...

I left Em's first poo in the potty for Scott to see!

Jodi Mitchell said...

I am so proud of her! I can not believe she is old enough to even think about using the potty! Love ya!

Gina said...

I'm sorry. You've crossed a line and there is no turning back. For at least the next 3 years you will obsess and discuss daily at length pee and poo! Welcome to the other side of the fence! -Congratulations, by the way - that really is amazing!!

Carrie, The Modern Housewife said...

No way. That's the craziest thing!!! Before motherhood, I never imagined being so proud of someone else's bathroom behaviors.

I found your blog through Darci's. I just started one myself!

Christy said...

I really can't believe that!! That is impressive. Way to go Avery

The Blankinships said...

this is the difference between boys and girls: if i had a potty out for ben and drew to get used to seeing, they'd move it all around the house to use as a step to climb up to something higher. then, IF they actually did something in it, and i left it for michael to see, they'd play in it and make a mess. sweet avery, i'm so proud of you for MANY reasons! way to go, big girl!!!