Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Long time, no post

My baby is sick. I feel so helpless. My sweet, easy-going, beaming child has been reduced to a cranky, crying, sleepy one by a miserable fight with an ear infection. We have seen the tiniest glimpses of her former self when we dance around like fools for her as she cries and tries to smile back at us.

Last night was a blur. With the incessant coughing and sneezing, Avery woke herself up more times than I can recall. Not having dealt with a sick child before, I jumped out of bed in panic every time she made a sound. A couple of times, I jumped up just to check and see why I hadn't heard her in a while.

She was so sweet this morning, even after such a hard night. Chad dropped her off at her daycare and she was asleep in her carseat. A couple of hours later, they called me because she seemed miserable. Her 4 month checkup at the doctor was supposed to be Thursday, so we just bumped it up to today and they worked her in for shots and a once-over from Dr. Morel.

We're coming down off a weekend high. We had a nice visit with Beverly (Chad's mom), who came in town Thursday to watch Avery while Chad and I went to David and Jessie's rehearsal dinner. Friday, we all went to the wedding—Avery included—and enjoyed catching up with old college friends. As Beverly was leaving, Nana and Papa (my parents) were coming into town from North Carolina. It had been so long since they had seen Avery. They were so shocked at the little personality she has taken on.

Chad and Dad played golf on Saturday and Mom and I bought fabric and patterns to get started on some outfits for Avery. I'm gradually learning more and more about how Grandmother's old sewing machine works. While I am incredibly grateful to have it, I'm dying to have a new one of my own with all the bells and whistles that I'm looking for. I have a long way to go before I'm as talented as my mom, but maybe a new toy will motivate me to keep trying.

I'm trying to discipline myself to schedule things I need to get done after work. I just finished my first week full-time in the office. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I have a pretty great team and they're so supportive and encouraging, assuring me that family comes first. I still have a long way to go before I'm caught up with marketing plans and campaigns, but I really enjoy it, so I'm inspired to work hard at it while I'm in the office.

Chad and I went for a walk tonight. We're trying to make it a habit. Since I haven't been able to join the walking mommies in the mornings (They'd better still be walking!), I have to come up with my own exercise regimen. I'll still be battling the bulge for a while, so I'm grateful for Chad for motivating me to get out and get moving. If you have any recommendations besides pushing the stroller up a steep hill, share away!

I leave you with photos from the past week. Enjoy! I'll try not to wait so long for the next post.


Sleeping in Daddy's tie at Josh & Lindsey's wedding

Cheesin' it up

Showing off for Nana & Papa

Happy time in the Boppy

Grins with Mommy before school this morning

1 comment:

Kim said...

Now, Laura, I know you're a go-getter, but don't burn yourself out. You sound so busy!! And I'm sorry she's sick; I know you must feel frustrated. Hope she feels better soon! Love you, kimme =)